Silwood House is a Grade 2 listed building dating from the 1850s. It was built by Edward Grove as a family home and was originally called Berry House. Edward had two daughters who were both married at Holy Trinity church on Trinity Rise.
In the General Survey of London, the house is described as still now the most imposing house in the road, showing that Berry House - Silwood must have been a well-constructed building.
When in 1900, the London County Council and the Board of Education strongly recommended that the school be moved into the suburbs, the present site was identified as ideal and finally purchased in 1913. The outbreak of the First World War necessarily postponed any building work and in 1919 fresh building plans were prepared. The main school building was completed in May 1928. It was officially opened by the Duchess of York (who became the Queen Mother) on 23 May 1928.
In the last twenty years a number of new buildings have been added to our campus including the Design and Technology Centre, the Music Centre, the English and Drama Block, the Sixth Form Centre and our state of the art Sports Hall.